Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bored to death of me

The other day I read a quote from Erma Bombeck that hit its mark (score one for my new years resolution!)

During the last year, I have dissected my marriage, examined my motives for buying, interpreted my fantasies, come to grips with midlife, found inner peace, outer flab, charted my astrological stars, become my best and only friend. I have brought order to my life, meditated, given up guilt, adjusted to the new morality and spent every living hour understanding me, interpreting me and loving me. And…you know what? I am bored to death of me.

I may not have spent a year doing this, but I am already bored to death of me. I hate writing self reflecting essays, which is unfortunate, because that is most of what a blog is.

There are some incredibly talented writers out there, for whom blogging is therapy. They can wax poetic about the events of their day and their words are powerful. I am not one of them.

I have found that the more I write about what I think, the more inward focused I become. It’s a downward spiral and it’s depressing. And so I’ve decided that I’m not going to do that anymore.

But I’m not going to quit blogging either. I am going to change things up a bit.

I have been privileged to know and spend time with a great many authentic moms. They have inspired me and encouraged me and I think there is room in this world for more of that.

These mothers, the ones that inspire,come from all different backgrounds and places. I would by no means say that they are from different generations, because that would be insulting. :) Instead I will say that they are at different life stages. I have come to know young moms, moms of tweens, and teens and mothers who are empty nesters. I also know moms who are in the same stage that I am, and they too inspire me.

And so I would like to share them with you. I would like to share their stories; what makes them inspiring, and what makes them authentic. They are not famous, or well known. They are moms, just like you and I. Imperfect but doing their best.

So if you know of a mom who inspires you, would you share her name with me? I’d love to get to know her and tell her story too. Email me and tell me what it is that inspires you. What would you love to know about her? Of course, I’ll also need her contact information.

The coolest part of this project is: even if not one soul reads what I’ve written, I will have spent time getting to know someone better. Someone who is inspirational. And that’s enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment