Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Slowing Down

How do you slow down at Christmas? I mean, is it even possible? Amidst the hustle and bustle of Christmas is it possible to enjoy what it is we’re trying to celebrate?

This year we cut out some of our annual traditions in order to make the season less stressful and more meaningful. We didn’t do our annual gingerbread party, we attempted to make gifts a more meaningful exchange. We’re incorporating giving to the homeless as part of our new traditions. And yet, this week has brought with it a to do list that has more tasks than it has fun.

And then in the midst of it all, my daughter taught me a very important lesson.

Yesterday I had a list a mile long of stuff to accomplish in order to make THIS Christmas season “perfect”. I had cleaning to do, party trays to arrange, laundry to wash, scrapbooks to finish, photos to order and emails to send. It seemed as though I would never get to sit down.

My sweet daughter pestered me once or twice to watch her puppet show. I acknowledged her and continued on my way, saying that I would be by in a minute to watch…after I had changed the laundry. Minutes turned into an hour and finally she stopped me and told me I had to come and see her puppet show…RIGHT NOW.

So I obliged.

Boy am I glad I did. Her show was all about the true meaning of Christmas, told as only a seven year old could. I wish I had taped it. As I sat there with tears in my eyes, watching her tell the Christmas story, I realized that she gets it, probably more than I do. She knows that it’s not about the loot or the food or even the decorations. I am so busy planning for the perfect Christmas, when all I have to do is enjoy what is before me.

Of course that doesn’t mean that I won’t still plan, organize and try to create a magical Christmas Eve and day. But I will sit more, even when it doesn’t seem like I have time.

So what about you? Had any of those aha moments lately? How are you trying to slow down this Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment