Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Thankfulness



As 2010 draws to a close what are you most thankful for? This has been a topic of discussion in our house, and it has centered around more than just Christmas gifts. We’re trying to help our kids understand the magnitude of how unbelievably lucky we are; how thankful we should be to have this comfortable life in this comfortable home.

We have had some incredible teaching moments in our home as of late. Christmas Eve was a little unusual. We attended our local church, as we do every Christmas. However, our church also serves as a homeless warming center on Friday nights. This year, instead of making the warming center guests wait around for our service to be finished, our church leadership invited the warming center to be a part of our service. Everyone was welcomed in and people from all different walks of life read scripture, sang Christmas songs and took communion together. After the service we all ate a meal together. The boundaries of haves and have-nots was blurred, if even for a few hours one night.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be homeless. To sleep on the streets; not to have the warmth of home, the luxury of full cupboards, and a plush bed to sleep in. I take for granted that Christmas Eve means coming home to twinkling Christmas lights on a tree surrounded by gifts. Whatever challenges I face, they are mild compared to the challenges faced by those who are homeless. I have never wondered where my next meal would come from. On a cold nights I have never wondered how to get warm.

I am thankful for all of the comforts that I have; a warm bed, a fridge full of food, a hot shower. I am thankful for friends who, regardless of their beliefs, baked cookies for our church to hand out to the homeless.


My children have played on and off with their various new toys, and I know that they are thankful for them. But I hope that when they remember this Christmas that their memory contains more than toys. When they look back my wish is for them to recall the dinner we shared on Christmas Eve, and the gifts that they gave; instead of the what they received.

No comments:

Post a Comment